5 things to know: 27 July 2016
 
5 things to know: 27 July 2016
27 JULY 2016 9:21 AM

From the desks of the Hotel News Now editorial staff:

  • AccorHotels set to buy another part of the booking journey
  • Kimpton investigates possible data breach
  • Q2 earnings season begins
  • Aussie hoteliers optimistic
  • Sands announces opening date of $13b Macao hotel

AccorHotels set to buy another part of the booking journey: French hotel firm AccorHotels has plugged what it considers another hole in the total booking journey by acquiring an 80% stake in French concierge services firm John Paul. This pending acquisition is part of the company’s goal to transform AccorHotels “into a travel companion providing innovative services to travelers at every step of their journey,” AccorHotels CEO Sébastien Bazin said in a news release Wednesday.

HNN’s Terence Baker spoke with Bazin about his plans to maximize integration between the two companies, as well as his future goals for owning more of the booking journey.

John Paul’s enterprise value is close to $150 million, according to the news release. The deal is expected to close this fall.

Kimpton investigates possible breach: Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants is investigating a possible data breach, according to a statement the company issued Tuesday morning.

According to the statement on its website, “Kimpton was recently made aware of a report of unauthorized charges occurring on cards that were previously used legitimately at Kimpton properties. As soon as we learned of this, we immediately launched an investigation and engaged a leading security firm to provide us with support.”

No other specifics such as targeted properties or dates of risk have been announced by the company. The number of data breaches in the hospitality industry reached a peak in 2015 that has carried momentum into 2016.

Q2 earnings season begins: It’s quarterly earnings season and several companies have begun to report second-quarter results:

  • In its likely final quarterly earnings report before Marriott International closes on the acquisition, Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide showed RevPAR growth of 3.4% in North America and 1.4% worldwide in the second quarter compared to Q2 2015.
  • Hilton Worldwide Holdings posted a 2.9% RevPAR increase in the quarter over the same period in 2015 and detailed further plans about its spinoffs.
  • Wyndham Hotel Group posted domestic RevPAR gains of 2.0% in the second quarter compared to the same period in 2015, but global systemwide RevPAR declines of 0.6%.
  • Lodging real estate investment trust FelCor Lodging Trust showed a 2.6% increase in RevPAR in the quarter and net income of $13.8 million. In its earnings conference call with analysts, FelCor scaled back its 2016 outlook due to softening corporate demand.

Stay tuned this week for quarterly earnings news from Marriott, Extended Stay America and Host Hotels & Resorts.

Aussie hoteliers optimistic: The Australian hotel industry has seen six years of stable revenue-per-available-room growth—between 2% to 4%—reflecting the continent’s strong tourism and investor draw, according to speakers at this week’s HotelsWorld conference in Sydney.

HNN’s Jeff Higley reports that while hotel performance is strong in the region, hoteliers continue to look for ways to shore up business, including visa reform, encouraging more inbound Chinese tourism and improving infrastructure.

“We should be overwhelmingly positive about our industry and its place in the emerging service economy,” said Bob East, CEO of Mantra Group. “We have never been in a better position where we’ve got support of government, we’ve got support of our industry and an obvious increase in demand drivers coming to our marketplace. … I’m very excited about the prospects for our industry in the short term, the medium term and the long term.”

Sands announces opening date of $13b Macao hotel: Sands China Limited, the majority-held subsidiary of global integrated resort developer Las Vegas Sands Corporation, will soon open its French-themed property, The Parisian Macao, on 13 September, the company announced in a news release.

The firm’s investment in the hotel, which is located on the Cotai Strip in the former Portuguese colony, now totals $13 billion, according to the release.


Compiled by Terence Baker.

No Comments

Comments that include blatant advertisements or links to products or company websites will be removed to avoid instances of spam. Also, comments that include profanity, lewdness, personal attacks, solicitations or advertising, or other similarly inappropriate or offensive comments or material will be removed from the site. You are fully responsible for the content you post. The opinions expressed in comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hotel News Now or its parent company, STR and its affiliated companies. Please report any violations to our editorial staff.