Pebblebrook officials withdraw 2020 guidance
 
Pebblebrook officials withdraw 2020 guidance
09 MARCH 2020 8:35 AM

Citing the evolving impacts of COVID-19, officials with Pebblebrook Hotel Trust said they can no longer stand by growth expectations for 2020.

BETHESDA, Md.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Pebblebrook Hotel Trust (NYSE: PEB) (the “Company”) today announced that it has withdrawn its 2020 and Q1 2020 Outlook provided on February 20, 2020 due to the large number of recent corporate group cancellations and corporate travel policy restrictions related to concerns about COVID-19 which have led to material declines in net bookings year over year.

The Company’s quarterly and full-year guidance issued on February 20, 2020 specifically did not account for any impact from the COVID-19 outbreak, other than what was known at the time, but increasing travel restrictions, governmental travel advisories and state of emergency declarations across multiple markets in which the Company owns hotels are now expected to significantly adversely impact the Company’s financial results for the first quarter of 2020 and the full year.

“We have seen a considerable rise in corporate group- and convention-related cancellations due to concerns surrounding COVID-19, and therefore, we are unlikely to achieve our first quarter and full-year 2020 outlook,” said Jon E. Bortz, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of Pebblebrook Hotel Trust. “These cancellations, which have dramatically escalated in just the last 10 days, are largely for business previously on the books for March, April and May of 2020. We’ve also experienced significant cancellations and material declines in business transient demand, while leisure bookings have also been impacted, but to a lesser extent. This remains a rapidly evolving situation. As a result of the shift in demand, we are thoughtfully modifying our operations and implementing cost reduction plans to mitigate the impact on revenue that we are anticipating and experiencing today. In conjunction with our property operating teams, we are utilizing our unique set of best practices, just as we have successfully done during previous downturns and similar unexpected events. The impact of COVID-19 continues to quickly develop, and, thus, we do not expect to issue new guidance until we have more clarity on travel demand and more predictable overall operating fundamentals and trends.”

The above is a news release written by a third party. While HNN’s editorial mission is to produce unique content, it occasionally publishes timely, newsworthy news releases to complement in-house reporting efforts. All news releases are clearly marked as such. For questions and clarification, please contact Editorial Director Stephanie Ricca at sricca@hotelnewsnow.com.

No Comments

Comments that include blatant advertisements or links to products or company websites will be removed to avoid instances of spam. Also, comments that include profanity, lewdness, personal attacks, solicitations or advertising, or other similarly inappropriate or offensive comments or material will be removed from the site. You are fully responsible for the content you post. The opinions expressed in comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hotel News Now or its parent company, STR and its affiliated companies. Please report any violations to our editorial staff.