This month’s roundup of news from the independent hotel sector includes: Kirkwood Collection’s new hotel; century-old property added to Ascend Collection; and more.
Hotel News Now’s Independent Insights newsletter each month features a news roundup from the independent hotel sector. Subscribe to the free monthly newsletter here.
Kirkwood Collection opens Santa Barbara hotel
Family-owned and operated Kirkwood Collection opened its latest property on 15 June in Santa Barbara, California, with the Hideaway Santa Barbara. A news release announcing the opening notes the hotel “blends ‘old world’ charm with ‘new world’” accents, housed in a 1908 California Craftsman.
Hideaway Santa Barbara was designed by Kirkwood Collections in-house design director Michelle McClory.
Ascend Collection adds century-old mansion
The 41-room, century-old mansion in Johnson City, New York, known as Traditions at the Glen Hotel & Spa, has joined Choice Hotels International’s Ascend Collection, according to a news release. The property has welcomed notable people like Dwight Eisenhower, Eleanor Roosevelt and Bing Cosby.
Set along the Susquehanna River and 18-hole championship fairways, the property also features a full-service spa and more than 13,000 square feet of meeting and event space.
Pacifica Hotels wins family-owned business award
Pacifica Hotels, an owner and operator of boutique hotels on the Pacific Coast, was awarded Orange County Business Journal’s 2019 Family-Owned Business Award, Large Business Category.
In a news release, CEO Matt Marquis said “in the strong and ever-growing Orange County business community, we are especially honored to be recognized for our contributions as both a company and a family.”
Openings, management, people on the move
- Hotel Teatro in Denver appointed three new team members: Hannah Anderson as marketing manager; Jeff Rose as director of operations; and Jamie Lemaster as catering and conferences service manager.
- Effective 8 July, Michael Dominguez will serve as president and CEO of Associated Luxury Hotels International.
- The Ivy Hotel in Chicago announced Wayne Leming as regional director of operations.
- Oram Hotels and Azul Hospitality Group announced the opening of the 162-room The Guild, part of the Marriott Tribute Portfolio, in San Diego.
- In July, Santa Rosa, California, will get a new boutique hotel with Hotel E, situated in the city’s Old Courthouse Sqaure. The hotel will open to guests on 1 July.
- Marriott International’s Autograph Collection announced plans to add more than 170 hotels to its portfolio across North America, Europe and Africa by the end of July. In the U.S., openings include The Drake Oak Brook in Illinois, The Notary Hotel in Philadelphia and The Current Hotel in Tampa, Florida.
Compiled by Dana Miller.