This month’s roundup of news from the independent hotel sector includes: A new Cipriani family hotel coming to Miami; the rebranding of a Kansas City legend; and people on the move.
Hotel News Now’s Independent Insights newsletter each month features a news roundup from the independent hotel sector. Subscribe to the free monthly newsletter here.
Ciprianis coming to Miami
Well-known Italian hospitality family, the Ciprianis, are opening a hotel in Miami’s Coconut Grove neighborhood this winter. According to the Miami Herald, Mr. C Coconut Grove will be the first Mr. C hotel in Florida. The family already operates Mr. C hotels in Beverly Hills and New York City as well as other hotels and restaurants around the world.
The five-story, 100-room hotel is designed by Arquitectonica, and the paper reports the hotel’s style is a combination of “the European with the nautical.”
The hotel will have meeting space on the top floor and ground floor, a gym with personal trainer and yoga classes, a rooftop pool, spa and an Italian restaurant, Bellini Restaurant and Bar.
The company is led by Ignazio and Maggio Cipriani.
Savoy Hotel now a 21c Museum Hotel
The historic Savoy Hotel and Grill in Kansas City, Missouri, has converted into a 21c Museum Hotels after completing a two-year, $50-million renovation and reopened as the 21c Museum Hotel Kansas City earlier this month. The revamped boutique hotel now includes 21c’s signature contemporary art museum concept as well as a chef-driven restaurant.
Because the company received federal historic tax credits to help cover renovation costs, The Kansas City Star reports 21c was “required to leave the Savoy Grill space mostly untouched.”
Openings, management, people on the move
- Benchmark named Lloyd Van Horn GM of Topnotch Resort, a Gemstone Collection property in Stowe, Vermont. Van Horn previously served as resort manager from 2006-2009.
- Parker Sams was named GM of the Le Pavillon Hotel in New Orleans.
- The Edwin Hotel named Greg Bradley GM and Kevin Korman executive chef of hotel restaurants Whitebird and Whiskey Thief. The hotel under development by Vision Hospitality Group and is scheduled to open later this summer.
- Gary Thulander was named managing director of Chatham Bars Inn on Cape Cod, Massachusetts. He most recently served as president and GM of the Woodstock Inn & Resort in Woodstock, Vermont. Simon Rodrigues was named director of sales at the hotel. He joins the property from Mandarin Oriental, Boston.
- The Harbor Court San Francisco hotel recently completed a $10-million renovation, which included 131 redesigned guestrooms, and a new lobby with co-working spaces and a 24-hour café. Perkins+Will designegd the new interiors.
- The Woodstock Inn & Resort in Woodstock, Vermont, completed a two-year, $16.5-million renovation, the latest phase of which included redesign of its 142 guestrooms. Paul Duesing Partners led the renovation and design work.
- Carneros Resort and Spa in Napa Valley, California, completed a $3.5-million spa renovation, which includes a new entrance and reception space, expanded relaxation area and newly designed treatment areas.
Compiled by Stephanie Ricca.