This month's roundup of news from the independent hotel sector includes: Ritz-Carlton, Buckhead reopens as The Whitley; Origin Hotel in development in Raleigh, North Carolina; and more.
Hotel News Now’s Independent Insights newsletter each month features a news roundup from the independent hotel sector. Subscribe to the free monthly newsletter here.
Former Buckhead Ritz goes to Luxury Collection
Owners Host Hotels & Resorts reopened the former Ritz-Carlton, Buckhead, as The Whitley on 1. December. The 507-room property now belongs to Marriott International’s Luxury Collection. As part of the rebranding, the hotel renovated its restaurant, bar and ballroom. Future renovations will include guestrooms and public spaces.
Boutiques welcome winter pop-ups
Winter sports and food-and-beverage specials are popping up at boutique and independent hotels all over. Some examples of hotels using winter to their advantage and launching short-term seasonal fun include:
The Gwen: This Chicago hotel, part of the Luxury Collection, opened a new outdoor iceless curling rink on its rooftop terrace. The rink is open daily, weather permitting, during the winter months, and guests also can choose drinks from the hotel’s menu of winter cocktails.
Envoy Hotel: This Boston hotel in the city’s Seaport neighborhood, launched a pop-up igloo bar at its Lookout rooftop bar. Six heated igloos seat eight to 10 people and are constructed from plastic. Guests can order seasonal cocktails by pressing a button in the igloo.
The Sanctuary Hotel: This Midtown Manhattan boutique hotel transforms its Haven rooftop bar into a ski chalet-themed pop-up. Inside the tented, heated space, guests can order seasonal cocktails, fondue and s’mores.
Origin minibrand expands
A new seven-story, 126-room Origin Hotel is in the works for development in Raleigh, North Carolina, The News & Observer reports, in the city’s One Glenwood project. The property is being developed by The Thrash Group, a Mississippi-based developer behind the Origin Hotel brand, which has four properties under development and none currently open.
The Raleigh hotel will be managed by Kentucky-based Schulte Hospitality Group, and is expected to open in spring 2019.
Openings, management, people on the move
- The Elizabeth Hotel opened in the Old Town neighborhood of Fort Collins, Colorado, as part of Marriott International’s Autograph Collection. The new hotel was developed by McWhinney and is managed by Sage Hospitality.
- Hotel Republic San Diego opened in November as part of Marriott’s Autograph Collection. The 19-story hotel owned by Rockpoint Group as majority owner and SCS Advisors as minority owner and asset manager. HEI Hotels & Resorts manages the property.
- The Archer Hotel Napa opened in late November in downtown Napa, California. The 183-room new-build boutique hotel is owned and developed by LodgeWorks Partners.
- Sam Tucker joined The Adolphus Hotel in Dallas as director of sales and marketing. Most recently he served as director of sales and marketing for Le Meridien Dallas, The Stoneleigh.
- Carillon Miami Wellness Resort in Miami Beach, Florida, completed a multimillion-dollar renovation led by designer Peter Silling.
- Charlestowne Hotels now manages The Shire Hotel, a 43-room boutique property in Woodstock, Vermont.
Compiled by Stephanie Ricca.