This month’s roundup of news from the independent hotel sector includes: a boutique boom in College Station, Texas; BD Hotels’ new Manhattan indie; people on the move; and more.
Hotel News Now’s Independent Insights newsletter each month features a news roundup from the independent hotel sector. Subscribe to the free monthly newsletter here.
College Station sees boutique boom
Three new independent boutique hotels are on tap for College Station, Texas, totaling nearly 500 additional guestrooms. The Stella is planning for a spring opening in the city’s Research Valley area as part of Lake Walk, a mixed-use development. The hotel is under development by William Cole Companies and managed by Trust Hospitality.* Midway Companies opened the 141-room military-themed Cavalry Court late last year in a mixed-use development adjacent to Texas A&M University. Valencia Group manages Cavalry Court, and will manage the city’s other Midway-owned boutique hotel still under development, the 162-room The George hotel.
Manhattan Holiday Inn goes indie
BD Hotels rebranded the two-tower, 600-room Holiday Inn Midtown as The Watson Hotel earlier this month. The hotel includes a rooftop pool, garden and café, fitness center and more than 8,700 square feet of meeting space. BD Hotels also owns and operates New York City independents The Mercer, The Bowery, The Maritime, The Greenwich, The Jane and Pod Hotels.
Ownership changes at Plantation on Crystal River
Atlanta-based Kingwood International Resorts purchased the Plantation on Crystal River in Crystal River, Florida. The property will retain its name and the new owners plan a $2.5-million renovation of some guestrooms, the golf course, F&B outlets and other public spaces.
Deals and developments
- Nail Task was named GM of Big Cypress Lodge, the 104-room independent hotel located inside Memphis’ Memphis Pyramid.
- Leo Glazer was named GM of Pod 39 in New York City.
- Richard Byrd was named GM of the 212-room Shores Resort & Spa in Daytona Beach Shores, Florida.
- Bill Hendrix was named GM of The Hotel Hershey, in Hershey Pennsylvania, effective 1 May.
- Provenance Hotels has taken over management of Portland’s Heathman Hotel. The property was purchased by LaSalle Hotel Properties in 2015.
- The Inn at Pocono Manor in Pocono Manor, Pennsylvania, officially changed its name to Pocono Manor Resort & Spa.
- Scout Hotel & Resort Management added Chatham Tides in Chatham, Massachusetts, to its management portfolio.
- Evolution Hospitality now manages the 209-room Hotel Angeleno in Los Angeles.
- The Rossi Hotel opened in Palm Springs, California.
* Correction, 23 February 2017: An earlier version of this article named an incorrect developer of The Stella hotel.
Compiled by Stephanie Ricca.