This month’s roundup of news from the independent hotel sector includes: A new boutique in Scottsdale, Arizona; the latest Historic Hotels of America inductees; and people on the move.
Hotel News Now’s Independent Insights newsletter each month features a news roundup from the independent hotel sector. Subscribe to the free monthly newsletter here.
New boutique in Scottsdale
Arizona-based Classic Hotels & Resorts acquired the FireSky Resort & Spa in 2016 from Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants and announced plans to renovate and relaunch the Old Town Scottsdale property as The Scott Resort & Spa. Classic will invest $15 million in renovations for the property’s 204 guestrooms, public spaces, meeting space, pools, lobby bar and restaurant. The first phase of the redesign will begin in May and be complete by September. Classic Hotels & Resorts is an affiliate of Grossman Company Properties.
Historic Hotels of America inducts 37 members
Thirty-seven hotels joined Historic Hotels of America in 2016, representing 19 states. The 2016 class of inductees includes hotels that range in age from 227 years to 51 years old, and nine of them are listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The new members are:
- The Georges (1789) Lexington, Virginia
- Woodstock Inn & Resort (1793) Woodstock, Vermont
- The Bedford Village Inn (1810) Bedford, New Hampshire
- Historic Hotels of Lake Geneva (1856) Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
- Plaza Hotel 1882 (1882) Las Vegas, New Mexico
- Montvale Hotel (1899) Spokane, Washington
- The DeSoto (1890; 1968) Savannah, Georgia
- AKA Times Square (1893) New York, New York
- Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton (1893) Boston, Massachusetts
- White Stallion Ranch (1900) Tucson, Arizona
- Pioneer Inn (1901) Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii
- The Redbury New York (1903) New York, New York
- XV Beacon (1903) Boston, Massachusetts
- AKA Wall Street (1907) New York, New York
- AKA Rittenhouse Square (1912) Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel (1915) Berkeley, California
- Hotel Congress (1918) Tucson, Arizona
- Marriott Syracuse Downtown (1924) Syracuse, New York
- The Scarlet Huntington (1924) San Francisco, California
- La Valencia Hotel (1926) La Jolla, California
- dusitD2 Hotel Constance Pasadena (1926) Pasadena, California
- The Hollywood Roosevelt (1927) Los Angeles, California
- NOPSI Hotel New Orleans, a Salamander Hotel (1927) New Orleans, Louisiana (AR)
- Hotel Durant- Berkeley (1928) Berkeley, California
- The Renwick Hotel New York City, Curio Collection by Hilton (1928) New York, New York
- AKA Sutton Place (1929) New York, New York
- Silver Birches Resort (1929) Hawley, Pennsylvania
- Hotel Warner (1930) West Chester, Pennsylvania
- Hotel Phillips Kansas City, Curio Collection by Hilton (1931) Kansas City, Missouri
- The Lodge at Wakulla Springs (1937) Crawfordville, Florida
- The Raleigh Miami Beach (1940) Miami Beach, Florida
- The Campbell House Lexington, Curio Collection by Hilton (1949) Lexington, Kentucky
- Morris Inn (1952) Notre Dame, Indiana
- Hotel Valley Ho (1956) Scottsdale, Arizona
- The Dewberry (1964) Charleston, South Carolina
- Hotel Captain Cook (1964) Anchorage, Alaska
- Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection (1965) Kohala Coast, Hawaii
Deals and developments
- BD Hotels is rebranding the two-tower, 600-room Holiday Inn Midtown in New York City to The Watson Hotel, slated for a 14 February opening.
- The Williamsburg Hotel opened in Brooklyn’s Williamsburg neighborhood. The 150-room property was developed by Heritage Equity Partners.
- Pacifica Hotels added to its management portfolio The Georgian Hotel in Santa Monica, California. The Georgian is owned by 4DS.
- Chesapeake Hospitality now manages the new Hyde Resort & Residences in Hollywood, Florida. The 367-room property is under development and is slated for completion this month.
- Michael Hartman was named managing director of the new-build, 100-room Hotel Key West at Stock Island Marina in Key West, Florida.
- Steven Hurst was named GM of Salishan Spa and Golf Resort in Gleneden Beach, Oregon. The resort is managed by Crescent Hotels & Resorts.
- Paige Carlson was named director of sales for the 99-room River’s Edge Hotel and Spa in Portland, Oregon. The property is managed by HRI Lodging.
- Kini Sandborn was named director of sales and marketing for The Vintage Estate in Yountville, California. The Estate includes The Vintage Inn and Villagio Inn & Spa.
Compiled by Stephanie Ricca.